Curio Cabinet Progress

I’m excited to say that I’ve made some progress with styling my curio. Remember the thrift store find I scored for 80 dollars?!! I’m still excited about that. =) Well to be honest, I’ve only made progress with the top of the cabinet but I’m happy with it so far. Most of my business these days is graphic design so I wanted to pay homage to that with some typography and graphic prints. I found these lovelies in the Bishop Arts District area of Dallas over the weekend.

Next up will be the shelf styling and a very cool DIY. If all goes well, I’ll be sharing that
with you next week.

1. Methane Studios Screenprint Poster: Music Monsters by Robert Lee [shop local: WE ARE 1976]
2. Dallas Neighborhood Map by David Anthony Harman [shop local: {neighborhood}]
3. Graphic Print by Mathew Barnes *print no longer available but check out his dope art here
4. Vases were from Target and the The Rose Garden Upscale Store
5. Large Monstera Leaf [shop local: DIRT]

A Plant for my Nightstand

Hi guys! I hope you had a great weekend. My weekends are back to being busy, busy. I’m not complaining because usually my weekends are dedicated to the work I really enjoy. Consulting with my small business design clients, hanging out with friends or just roaming around town discovering new places to share on the blog. This weekend I discovered Brumley Gardens. I purchased this lovely vase below at The Rose Garden and the owner, Kelly, suggested that I take it down the street to Brumley, choose a plant and they would actually pot it for me. Well fantastic!

One problem, I absolutely do not have a green thumb. The only thing I’ve ever kept alive for an extended amount of time was bamboo and from what I’m told, you pretty much can’t kill bamboo. Eric, the associate that helped me was so patient and awesome. He educated me on the plants and we decided that a succulent may be the right choice for me. I chose the Serpent’s Blue Chalk Fingers which needs ample light but only has to be watered roughly once a month. We have a winner!

I love how this little project turned out and I’m excited to love and care for my new plant. Who knows, just maybe I do have a green thumb!

Happy Monday!

Angela 
hugs ‘n kisses

DIY: Make your old bed new again!

I’m sure a lot of you out there, including myself, fell victim to the over-sized, wood bed craze a few years back. Don’t raise your hands all at once. I’m know I’m not the only one! =) Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this type of bed in the right interior. Case in point, Interior Designer Mariette Himes Gomez creates the most dreamy sleigh beds and bedrooms. If I had a large home with ample space, this bed would fit perfectly.

As I have matured in my own design aesthetic, the style of my current bed no longer reflects my personality. It’s a great bed; solid wood, very heavy and will stand the test of time. It just doesn’t fit in with my decor anymore. So instead of doing away with a well made bed, I decided to freshen it up myself. You’d be surprised how much a little paint can breathe new life into furniture.

The first step was to measure the upholstery section of the existing headboard. I then took the measurements to my dear friend Maria of Jazzy Custom Designs. She created a custom upholstered headboard using the fabric and buttons I’d chosen. Isn’t it fabulous?!!

*This is when I started to really get excited.*

[If you’d like to try this step yourself, there’s a great tutorial on Jenna Sue’s blog.]

*This is where I started to panic!*

I had all of the supplies ready, I’d removed all of the screws, the drop cloth was in place. I began to tug at the faux leather panels and to my dismay they were glued on with the strongest adhesive known to man! Luckily Maria was there to calm me down and we proceeded to tug, pull and chisel until the panels were finally free. This two hour project instantly turned into an all day project.

If you run into an unexpected problem like this, don’t stress. Take your time, research to find a solution and ask for help.

Once the panels were removed, I used sandpaper to even the surface. I applied two coats of primer and then two coats of paint. There was no need to paint the center portion because the new upholstery panel would cover it. Finally I attached the new headboard.

It was definitely all worth it and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was a full day of sweat and tears but it didn’t come close to the cost of a new bed. I spent roughly $350 on the materials. I am in love with my ‘new’ bed and I swear…it’s so much more comfortable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...