I’m sure a lot of you out there, including myself, fell victim to the over-sized, wood bed craze a few years back. Don’t raise your hands all at once. I’m know I’m not the only one! =) Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this type of bed in the right interior. Case in point, Interior Designer Mariette Himes Gomez creates the most dreamy sleigh beds and bedrooms. If I had a large home with ample space, this bed would fit perfectly.
As I have matured in my own design aesthetic, the style of my current bed no longer reflects my personality. It’s a great bed; solid wood, very heavy and will stand the test of time. It just doesn’t fit in with my decor anymore. So instead of doing away with a well made bed, I decided to freshen it up myself. You’d be surprised how much a little paint can breathe new life into furniture.
The first step was to measure the upholstery section of the existing headboard. I then took the measurements to my dear friend Maria of Jazzy Custom Designs. She created a custom upholstered headboard using the fabric and buttons I’d chosen. Isn’t it fabulous?!!
*This is when I started to really get excited.*
[If you’d like to try this step yourself, there’s a great tutorial on Jenna Sue’s blog.]
*This is where I started to panic!*
I had all of the supplies ready, I’d removed all of the screws, the drop cloth was in place. I began to tug at the faux leather panels and to my dismay they were glued on with the strongest adhesive known to man! Luckily Maria was there to calm me down and we proceeded to tug, pull and chisel until the panels were finally free. This two hour project instantly turned into an all day project.
If you run into an unexpected problem like this, don’t stress. Take your time, research to find a solution and ask for help.
Once the panels were removed, I used sandpaper to even the surface. I applied two coats of primer and then two coats of paint. There was no need to paint the center portion because the new upholstery panel would cover it. Finally I attached the new headboard.
It was definitely all worth it and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was a full day of sweat and tears but it didn’t come close to the cost of a new bed. I spent roughly $350 on the materials. I am in love with my ‘new’ bed and I swear…it’s so much more comfortable!